SouthStar consultants recently obtained certification as Lead Auditors to enable us to plan and lead a program audit for any company striving to achieve OHSAS 18001 certification. OHSAS 18001 has been developed to be compatible with the ISO 9001 (Quality) and ISO 14001 (Environmental) management systems standards, in order to facilitate the integration of quality, environmental and occupational health and safety management systems by organizations, should they with to do so. The (OHSAS) specification gives requirements for an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system, to enable an organization to control its OH&S risks and improve its performance. It does not state specific OH&S performance criteria, nor does it give detailed specifications for the design of a management system.
The OHSAS specification is applicable to any organization that wishes to:
- Establish an OH&S management system to eliminate or minimize risk to employees and other interested parties who may be exposed to OH&S risks associated with its activities
- Implement, maintain and continually improve an OH&S management system
- Assure itself of its conformance with its stated OH&S policy
- Demonstrate such conformance to others
- Seek certification/registration of its OH&S management system by an external organization
- Make a self-determination and declaration of conformance with this OHSAS specification.